Frequently Asked Questions
How do you hire workers from our center?
*** Due to COVID-19, the best way to hire workers from our center is to call or text us at (929) 399-6423 ***
You can hire workers from our center in 1 of 3 ways:
1. Call or text us at (929) 399-6423
Call us during business hours Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 12:00 pm.
- If you call after normal business hours, please leave a message and we’ll get back to you.
- If you get a busy tone, use one of these additional phone numbers: (347) 292-1795, (347) 391-0875
2. Or submit a job order directly online (click here)
- We will call you to confirm details
3. Or visit us at 71-21 Roosevelt Avenue in Jackson Heights, Queens,
Due to COVID-19, we have limited in-person business hours on Mondays and Wednesdays from 7:00 am to 12:00 pm
- Please make sure to wear a face mask and keep social distancing within our installations.
When you call or come in, we help select the appropriate worker(s) for the job, establish a fair wage that’s agreed to upfront by both parties, make introductions, and that’s it. You can provide transportation, or we will coordinate getting workers to your business site or home. The hiring process is easy, convenient, and dignified.
To make same-day arrangements call us as early as possible
- Our regular business hours are Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 12:00 pm.
For general laborers, you may call at any time.
For skilled laborers (carpenters, painters, concrete workers, etc.), it is best to call a day in advance to make arrangements or plan for a waiting period.
What kind of jobs do workers specialize in?
- While we host workers of all trades and experiences, most focus on the following:
Construction: such as concrete, masonry, bricklaying, scaffolding, framing, carpentry, installer, general helper, etc
Residential and Domestic: such as home improvement projects, handiwork, painting, tiling, landscaping, general maintenance, home cleaning, daycare, etc
Small Business: such as office cleaning, street cleaning and snow removal, moving, etc.
Moving: such as packing, loading, unloading, installing, etc.
Why should you hire workers from our center?
Our process is EASY and CONVENIENT
We provide a SAFE and DIGNIFIED way for workers and prospective employers to connect
- Workers are organized according to their SKILLS and EXPERIENCE
Workers are RELIABLE and PROFESSIONAL. To join the job center, workers agree to follow a Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice.
- Workers are provided with FREE TRAINING
- 40-Hour SITE SAFETY TRAINING (SST) (required to work in construction)
- 30-Hour Health and Safety (OSHA) training
- 10 Site Safety Training (SST)
COVID-19 safety training
- Soft and hard SKILLS training
English classes with a focus on the workplace
We charge NO FEES for our services to employers or workers.
- Workers keep 100% of their earnings.
- Employers negotiate, hire, and pay workers directly.
- Workers are organized to provide the best match for employers.
- In collaboration with employers and experienced workers, workers collectively develop a salary scale for each industry and trade.
- Workers are then organized according to their skills and experience to help match them with the jobs available.
Do I have to pay the center fees for hiring?
NO FEES are ever charged for our services to employers or workers.
- We are not an employment or staffing agency.
- We do not handle cash or any payments to workers.
- Employers hire and pay workers directly while we provide support, as need.
The NICE Job Center is a nonprofit 501(c)3 community organization that helps workers connect with prospective employers in a safe and dignified way.
What are your hours of operation?
- 7 AM – 12 PM for same-day hiring
- For next day hiring:
- Call us at 718-205-1687 during hours of operation (7 AM – 12 PM) OR
- Leave us a detailed message. Our coordinator will call you back to confirm your order.
How are workers paid?
Payment should be made in full at the end of the workday or as arranged during negotiations with the worker.
How much does it cost to hire a worker at the NICE Job Center?
- Workers adhere strictly to the wage and hours laws.
- In New York City the minimum wage is $15.00 per hour, however, workers have determined the appropriate minimum wage for different jobs.
- Workers have collectively developed a salary scale that will be provided to you based on your needs.
Where does my money go?
- Workers keep 100% of their pay.
- NICE does not take a commission or receive or handle any money from workers or employers.
Do I have to pick up the worker?
- You can either pick up workers at the NICE Jobs Center (in Jackson Heights, Queens) or
- You can coordinate for them to arrive at the worksite on their own.
Is there an hourly minimum or maximum to hire a worker?
- Workers are hired for a minimum of five hours, which is considered a half-day.
- Workers are also available to work a full day (8 hours), a week, a month, or permanently.
What should you know about occupational safety?
You are responsible for providing a safe work environment. If you are unsure about what this means, please speak to one of our staff members before hiring a worker.
Do workers speak English?
Most do speak English and other languages. Others speak and understand enough English to communicate on the job. Our team is available to assist in communication if necessary.
Are workers trustworthy?
All workers who are registered of the NICE Job Center follow a Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice to ensure that the employers get honest, reliable and professional services.
To ensure employer satisfaction, we have a quality control process that includes a brief evaluation sheet where employers can comment on job performance to encourage future employment of workers with whom they’ve had a positive experience.
How can you support this effort?
In addition to linking employers with workers, we promote workforce development through skills training and English language classes. And we foster stronger relationships within families and between neighbors, with community-building efforts. All in all, we are dedicated to helping people reach their potential as breadwinners for their families and productive members of our community.
Building a community is a collective effort. The NICE Job Center could not exist without the generosity of individuals and funders who provide generous support. To join our community of supporters and donors click here.
Do you have additional questions?